- Jussi Jokinen 7 (Assists: Chris Kunitz 26, Pascal Dupuis 10)
- Rick Nash 14 (Assists: Derek Stepan 17)
- Jussi Jokinen: SCORES
- Rick Nash: STOPPED
- Evgeni Malkin: STOPPED
- Mats Zuccarello: STOPPED
- Pascal Dupuis: STOPPED
- Ryan Callahan: Stopped
- This is the kind of night where you take the point and you get the hell out of town. It’s also a game that the Rangers probably don’t get a point in a few weeks ago.
- They played well tonight and found a way to get a point and take 3 points out of 4 from the Pens. It’s five points out of their last six when on Saturday in Montreal this team looked like they might be cooked.
- This had the feel of a playoff game and did especially when things started to get heated in the third period. This is the last meeting of the regular season between the two teams but there is a very real chance that they could meet in the playoffs.
- The Rangers missed 23 shots tonight. The Penguins missed 2. On the surface that number seems weird, but it should indicate that the Rangers had the puck more tonight.
Rangers game notes:
- The Rangers were defeated by the Pittsburgh Penguins, 2-1, in the shootout tonight at CONSOL Energy Center. New York has registered a point in three straight games, posting a record of 2-0-1 over the span.
- The Blueshirts are now 18-15-4 (40 pts) overall, including a 6-9-2 mark on the road this season.
- New York has now posted a combined record of 4-4-1 in back-to-back games, including a 3-1-1 (2-0-0 at home; 1-1-1 on the road) record in the first game of the set.
- The Blueshirts held the Penguins scoreless in two power play opportunities (4:00), and are now 9-9 (100%) on the penalty kill in the last three games. New York has now registered a point in 13 of 17 games (11-4-2) when not allowing a power play goal.
- The Rangers out-shot the Penguins, 35-27, including a 14-4 advantage in the third period.
- Henrik Lundqvist made 26 saves through regulation/overtime and stopped two of three in the shootout, while appearing in his 500th career NHL contest. He is now 16-13-3 overall, including a 4-7-2 mark on the road this season. He has now allowed two or fewer goals in each of the last nine games (5-2-2, 1.63 GAA, .941 Sv% over the span). Lundqvist became the fourth goalie in franchise history to appear in 500 contests as a Ranger, joining Mike Richter (666), Lorne Worsley (582) and Ed Giacomin (538).
- Rick Nash notched a goal and a game-high, seven shots on goal in 22:48 of ice time. He has now tallied six points (four goals, two assists) in the last six games.
- Derek Stepan tallied an assist, five shots on goal, and led all forwards with 24:06 of ice time. He has now recorded 20 points (nine goals, 11 assists) in the last 19 games, including four points (two goals, two assists) in the last three contests.
- Steve Eminger was credited with a team-high, five hits in 13:01 of ice time.
- Michael Del Zotto was credited with a team-high, three blocked shots in 26:08 of ice time.