Before the Stanley Cup Final started, LA coach Darryl Sutter said that Ryan McDonagh is to the Rangers what Drew Doughty is to the Kings. (via the NHL)
He said that the Kings were talking about McDonagh as much as the Rangers were probably talking about Doughty.
Wayne Gretzky said that McDonagh and Doughty are different kinds of players and that McDonagh can do a lot of special things on the ice but Doughty reminds him a lot of Brian Leetch. (CBC)
- Doughty had 5 goals and 13 assists in 26 playoff games, averaging 28:45 per game.
- McDonagh had 4 goals and 13 assists in 25 playoff games, averaging 26:48 per game.
During the Rangers series against Montreal, Danny Briere said “Ryan McDonagh is a great defenseman but I’ve never seen a guy slash this much since Chris Pronger.” (MAG)
When asked to comment on that, Alain Vigneault said (via the NHL) “You can make what you want of it. Ryan McDonagh plays the game in an honorable way. He’s one of the best defensemen in the league in my estimation. The Habs can have their own view.”
- 27:48 per game in the regular season
- 6th in Norris voting in 2014, with 8 first place votes, 6 second place votes, 17 third place, 18 fourth place and 23 5th place.
- Signed for five more years with a cap hit of $7 million.
- 25:29 in the regular season
- 8th in Norris voting in 2014 with1 second place vote, 4 third place, 5 fourth place and 11 fifth place votes.
- Signed for five more years with a cap hit of $4.7 million.