Last night against Winnipeg, Carl Hagelin scored a hat trick after being put on a line with Brad Richards and Benoit Pouliot.
Dave Maloney said after the game, “24 hours ago we were talking about Carl Hagelin and how he was moving around, had a meeting on the off day with the coach about going to the net and needing to be a better player causing things to happen in the offensive zone. Tonight he has 3 on the books.
Prior to last night Hagelin only had one goal in his past 13 games.
After the game, on MSG, Hagelin said:
- On the Hat Trick, “it feels good. I have never had one before, not even in college. Any time you can help the team win the game and scoring three goals it’s pretty special.”
- On the GWG, “we did a great job of killing penalties and I was going to go for a change but then I saw it was Marty got out of the box and he is pretty skilled so I tried to skate towards the net and he made a great pass underneath the goalies stick and I was able to put it in.
- On the first goalie, Pouliot tipped it down to me and I tipped it back up.”
- When was the last time you had a hat trick, “junior hockey back in Sweden, I didn’t have one back in college. Must have been 7 or 8 years ago.
Goal break down from Dave Maloney and Marty Biron:
- Dave: “The first one is not how you draw it up but he is in the right spot.””
- Marty: “Really smart how he slows down, Bogosian looks back but doesn’t find him and it’s a rare back hand to back hand pass and goal”
- Marty: “The third one, Brad Richards seeming him on the wing, the little movement here…he sees Montoya, some will say it’s a bad goal, but he sees Montoya open up his legs and that is what a great shooter does, he finds a hole and puts it right there.””