- They showed flashes in the third period of the team from last season and I think we will see more than just flashes on Wednesday against the Bruins and Thursday against the Flyers.
- They just aren’t executing properly. No-look passes, drop passes with no-one around but the Penguins, passes bouncing off of sticks, missed shots, blown coverages and too many penalties. These things need to be eliminated.
- The Penguins are really good and, at least through two games, the best team in the East.
- Rick Nash was good tonight and we saw what kind of offense he can create. The goal he scored seemed like a carbon copy of the ones in all the Nash highlight videos.
– The Rangers were defeated by the Pittsburgh Penguins, 6-3, tonight in their 2013 regular season home opener at Madison Square Garden.
– The Blueshirts out-hit the Penguins, 30-21, in the contest.
– The Rangers notched one power play goal in four attempts (6:00), while the Blueshirts tallied one shorthanded goal.
– Two Blueshirts notched a goal while making their Madison Square Garden debut in tonight’s contest – Taylor Pyatt and Rick Nash. The last time the Rangers had two or more players tally a goal while making their MSG debut as a Blueshirt was Oct. 3, 2009 vs. Ottawa – Vinny Prospal, Michael Del Zotto and Marian Gaborik.
– Rick Nash notched his first goal as a Ranger with a shorthanded tally, tied for the team-high with five shots on goal and tied for the game-high with four hits while making his Madison Square Garden debut as a Ranger. He has now tallied 12 points (eight goals, four assists) in nine career home openers.
– Taylor Pyatt registered his first point as a Blueshirt with an even strength goal at 6:04 of the third period, and was credited with three hits while making his Madison Square Garden debut as a Ranger.
– Ryan Callahan tallied a power play goal at 9:55 of the first period, and was credited with three hits and three blocked shots in 19:21 of ice time. He is now one point shy of his 200th career NHL point.
– Brad Richards recorded two assists, including one on the power play, won a game-high, 13-22 (59%) faceoffs, and led all forwards with 21:43 of ice time. He registered three points (one goal, two assists) in the Rangers’ back-to-back set to begin the season, after tallying a goal yesterday at Boston. Richards has now registered 13 points (five goals, eight assists) in 12 career home openers.
– Derek Stepan registered two assists in the contest, including the lone assist on Nash’s shorthanded goal. He is now three points shy of his 100th career NHL point.
– Michael Del Zotto tallied one assist, registered three shots on goal and logged a team-high, 23:35 of ice time. He has now recorded four points (two goals, two assists) in four career home-opening games.
– Arron Asham was credited with two takeaways and assessed a fighting major while making his Rangers debut.
– Henrik Lundqvist (14-18, 29:11 TOI) and Martin Biron (19-20, 30:42 TOI) combined to stop 33 of 38 shots in net (one empty net goal).