10:19AM: 5/9/12: Eric Staal told the NY Post that he had this reaction when Marc scored the OT goal,“then obviously with the overtime goal, it got me off the couch, and that doesn’t happen very often.”
- On scoring the OT goal, Staal says that there is no other feeling that compares.
- On thinking about going down 3-2, Staal said that the team felt that they deserved to be tied or better.
- On losing yet controlling play, Staal says that it’s a little frustrating, but they stay with it and keep going at the other team and hope for a break that goes the other way.
- On how much time was left when Richie scored, Staal said that he was aware of how little time there was and thought that Michael Del Zotto’s shot was going to be the Rangers last chance.
- Staal says that it’s worse to sit on the bench in those last few seconds than be on the ice. “It’s a pretty incredible feeling when the puck goes in.”
- On his contributions, Staal says that it’s not a regular season he wants to remember, but felt like the playoffs were a fresh start where he could raise his game and raise his level.
Rest of interview
- On the PP, Staal says that the team is having trouble with the pressure from Washington. “In OT, any shot is a good shot. I tried to hit it as hard as I could and hope for a good thing to happen.”
- On the locker room between the third and OT, Staal says that the team was a calm and focused and talked about having two more minutes of power play time.
- Staal says that he is 100% and that he has felt good for some time now. All of the injury stuff is out of his mind and he is just focused on winning games.
- On finishing off Washington tomorrow: “The start is big and we want to be ready to go from the puck drop. Washington’s rink is loud and we want to bring the momentum from last night into tomorrow.”
- On if there is momentum, Staal says that the key is staying high when the team is winning and keeping that going as long as they can.
- On the Stanley Cup finals, Staal says that the team tries to not think about the big picture because they don’t want to lose their focus on the next challenge.
- On animosity with the Caps, Staal says that it has been a defensive, grinding, physical series for both teams and “the more times you see them the more hatred becomes part of it.”
- On Torts, Staal says that win or lose he doesn’t come into the room after the game. He always gets us ready to go for the next one. You can’t help but be excited with the game last night.
- Staal says that Torts is not a touchy feely guy.
- Don La Greca notes that the locker room is really only for the players and that there is a separation between the two. Torts likes to let the players control the room and grow together during the season.