Dylan McIlrath will make his NHL debut tonight and spoke with the Rangers:
McIlrath’s preferred nickname is “diesel” and not Undertaker (Rangers)
- On getting the call that he is coming up, “I almost didn’t believe my coach when he called to tell me. I got off the phone and took five minutes, all the emotions were running through my head. Calling my friends and family….it was the best call I have had in a while.”
- On being on the ice at MSG, “it’s a dream come true. I am just trying to take it all in and not get too overwhelmed. Once the puck drops I need to approach it like any other game. I will enjoy this moment and everything that comes with it.”
- On his approach tonight, “I will just try and stick in the structure that they set out, let the game come to me. When I over think things I get into trouble. I am an emotional player and things happen on the ice and I will let them play out and not think about them too much.”
- What did Jeff Beuekeboom says as you were coming to NY, “He sent me a text to wish me luck to be myself. That is what got me called up. I owe a lot of credit to Jeff and the staff in Hartford preparing as best as they could for this day.”
- On fighting in the NHL, “I’m a rookie and I need to earn my stripes. If someone wants to confrontate me or anything like that. I am coming in here with no expectations. I will play my game and if I play physical things will come to me no matter what.
McIlrath said that he didn’t have the training camp that he wanted but that he went down to Hartford with a positive attitude and felt comfortable right away (Ranger Rants).
The team wants McIlrath to play his game and he spoke briefly with Ulf Samuelsson about some tactics. They want to make sure that he plays the way he did in Hartford (Ranger Rants)