At ESPN Insider, Corey Pronman lists five Ranger prospects that the Rangers could trade for Rick Nash.
He lists Tim Erixon, Chris Kreider, Michael St. Croix, JT Miller and Dylan McIlrath.
- On Erixon, who Pronman is a big fan of, he says that Erixon projects to be a shutdown defenseman who can play against the other team’s top players.
- On Kreider, Pronman writes that he is looked at as a top six goal scorer with first line potential.
- On St. Croix, he quotes a scout as saying, “He’s the player this year I thought he was going to be last year.” St. Croix is a brilliant playmaking forward with great upside and could have the potential to be a top-two line scorer in the NHL.
- On JT Miller, Pronman says that he is a versatile player with no noticeable weaknesses.
- On McIlrath, he says that after struggling to start the season, McIlrath has “been a bone-crushing defenseman who scares the life out of opposing forwards every shift.”
It is believed that the Rangers would prefer to send prospects to Columbus over roster players in order to acquire Nash.