- What are you talking about with MSL and Richards, “just small things, give and gos. They are two smart player who have played the game for a long time so they are giving me advice but they are also telling each other where to go and what to do as well.
What do you feel playing with MSL, “he is so easy to play with, he is quick, makes a lot of plays and gets pucks as well.
7:53PM: Ryan McDonagh spoke with Al Trautwig and said:
- On MSL, You can see his playmaking ability, skating ability and quick release. Him and Richie seem to be clicking and Hags is doing well on that line.
- On being distracted the last two games, “I don’t think so. Those were two tough and physical games and we gave ourselves a chance to win and it just got away from us.”
- Did you talk to Cally, “you wish you good look and thank him for what he taught me individually as the captain, how he prepared every game and then played on the ice. It was tough to see him go but it’s part of the game.
6:41PM: Ryan McDonagh said on MSG, “we are getting a big time leader in St. Louis back and our group has to roll with it here and we are still trying to accomplish something as a group and we have to trust the coaching staff and management to get the best for us to be successful.”
6:30PM: On MSG, Brad Richards said:
- What has today been like, “it’s different because Cally has been unbelievable to me here and has become a good friend and teammate…everyone knows my relationship with Marty so…I just hope it works out for both of them. I know Cally is going to a great spot and he will love it down there.”
- On Marty St. Louis, “he is one of the top 5 players in the world and when you bring that talent level it makes your team more dangerous. It adds more experience, he has won a Stanley Cup and a Gold Medal and he knows what it takes to win in this league so it can only help our locker room on and off the ice.”
- How do you make sure this doesn’t become a distraction, “we have to make sure that we do our job and keep playing the way we play. Marty can help, he just wants to fit into the system. It’s not a 1 man show or watching one game, we need to get back to work and get winning again here.”
5:52PM: Glen Sather said that the Rangers are pros and will need to suck it up if they are upset.
1:24PM: From John Giannone on twitter:
- Marc Staal: “It hasn’t quite sunk in yet. I just spoke to him, it’s a tough thing. He was trying to stay, trying to get it done and it never worked out that way. It’s part of the business but that’s hard when stuff like this happens, where you play with a guy for a long time. Obviously I think he really did want to stay and it didn’t work out that way.”
- Ryan McDonagh: “Its always shocking. The rumors were going around but when it actually goes thru, actually happens, you’re pretty shocked. He’s a guy that taught me a lot in my career early on and has been here ever since I was here a true competitor, a true leader who always gives 110% out there.”
- Brian Boyle: It’s very surprising, it’s still shocking. I said it a bunch but it is a guy I always looked up to since I came here “I’ve watched him play and in practice and being around him, he’s made me a better player. He’s the leader of our club. It’s more along the lines right now in the initial phase of missing a real good friend & teammate. We wish him all the best.”
From Renaud Lavoie:
- Derick Brassard: “the atmosphere was not easy in the locker room when it became known that Ryan Callahan was exchanged.”
This post will be updated as more players speak/react.