6:23PM: On Insider Trading, Darren Dreger discussed Ryan Callahan:
- Dreger, “He wants a lot of money. It’s been widely reported that Ryan Callahan wants a seven-year term around $6 million per, well that isn’t accurate and I am told that it is more than $6.5 million per on a seven-year term and less than $7 million. Whether it’s $6 or as we know now, it’s closer to $7 million, it’s a lot of money and too much for the New York Rangers. There is not a lot of wiggle room in this negotiation and that is why Glen Sather is considering and working towards moving his captain.”
- James Duthie asks if Callahan will get moved before the Friday deadline and Dreger says, “50-50 but that is an easy guess to make at this point. I would say that it’s more unlikely to get done because there is a willingness to push this as far as you can but in the meantime the New York Rangers need to get as much in return as possible. The Chris Stewart deal with the St. Louis Blues is still there, Stewart would be part of it.”
- Callahan is the top ranked player on TSN’s available players list.
5:18PM “Ryan Callahan wants north of $6.5 million and close to $7 million per year on a seven-year deal. If he gets that in UFA buyer beware. He would be a great fit on 30 teams, he is a heart and soul player but not at almost $7 million. The Chris Stewart trade, with Stewart as part of it, is still there but Sather is drumming up interest and wants to see the market entirely. It may take until March 5.” (Darren Dreger on TSN Drive)
Dreger adds that the Rangers wanted this resolved this week but that may not happen until March 5.
This is now the third report of Callahan wanting more than the originally speculated on $6 million per year for seven-years.
- The Ottawa Sun reported $6.85 million yesterday.
- Kevin Weekes, this afternoon, said that Callahan was searching for a deal between $6 million and $7 million and closer to $7 million.
Dreger and Bob McKenzie are expected to talk more about Callahan on TSN at 6PM.