The NHLPA has denied the realignment. Thought it was supposed to be a rubber stamp. #NHL
— Bruce Garrioch (@SunGarrioch) January 7, 2012
Larry Brooks tweets:
- PA had informed NHL it opposed this realignment plan before Board voted to approve…PA concern re added travel…League imposed deadline.
- Realignment on way to becoming part of CBA negotiation….Though only two teams voted against Bettman plan, many clubs pleased with PA
- Told that union had expected to continue talks at least through all star weekend.
Pierre LeBrun tweets:
- NHLPA says extra travel was major concern as well as playoff structure…. Union says it consulted with players on conf calls …
- League needed deadline because schedule maker has to get going next year’s sked
Update: 10:01PM: The NHL PA has also released a statement.
The NHL released this statement about realignment:
The National Hockey League announced today that it will not move forward with implementation of the Realignment Plan and modified Playoff Format recently approved by the NHL Board of Governors for the 2012-13 NHL season because the NHLPA has refused to provide its consent.
“It is unfortunate that the NHLPA has unreasonably refused to approve a Plan that an overwhelming majority of our Clubs voted to support, and that has received such widespread support from our fans and other members of the hockey community, including Players,” said NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly. “We have now spent the better part of four weeks attempting to satisfy the NHLPA’s purported concerns with the Plan with no success. Because we have already been forced to delay, and as a result are already late in beginning the process of preparing next season’s schedule, we have no choice but to abandon our intention to implement the Realignment Plan and modified Playoff Format for next season.”
“We believe the Union acted unreasonably in violation of the League’s rights. We intend to evaluate all of our available legal options and to pursue adequate remedies, as appropriate.”
As a result of the League’s decision today, the NHL will maintain its current alignment and Playoff Format for the 2012-13 season.
[jbutton color="red" link="http://www.snyrangersblog.com/category/division-realignment/" size="xsmall"]CLICK HERE[/jbutton] for more on realignment.