At NHL.com, John Kreiser looks at 10 candidates who are in line to have bounce back seasons this coming year.
One of those players is the Rangers Brad Richards.
Richards had 25 goals and 41 assists for the Rangers last season and had three five game point streaks and one seven game point streak. Richards had 34 of his points during those streaks.
By month, Richards scoring broke down as:
- October: 3 goals, 6 assists in 10 games
- November: 6 goals, 4 assists in 11 games
- December: 4 goals, 5 assists in 15
- January: 3 goals, 2 assists in 12 games
- February: 2 goals, 7 assists in 13 games
- March: 7 goals, 15 assists in 17 games
- April (Reg Season): 2 assists in 4 games
- April (Playoffs): 4 goals, 4 assists in nine playoff games
- May (Playoffs): 2 goals, 5 assists in 11 games
Kreiser says “With Marian Gaborik destined to miss several weeks at the start of the season due to shoulder surgery, the Rangers need Richards to pick up the pace offensively.”
Richards spent most of last season mentoring Rangers such as Michael Del Zotto and Derek Stepan.
Adam Rotter: Richards had a good start to last season, dipped in the middle and played his best hockey in March and into the playoffs. He isn’t the new guy anymore and I think that will help his game this season. The pressure will still be on him to produce offense, as that is what the Rangers signed him for, but I think that a year in the system and having a year in NY under his belt will help his game.